Saturday, January 09, 2010

New Year New Plan

Let me first begin with an exuberant Happy New Year!!!

I'm nearly finished with my holiday reading. Only a few more short chapters to go in the Mary Higgins Clark/Carol Higgins Clark holiday mystery book I started the week before Christmas--I just can't read as fast as I used to :(

Anyway, today is a day for writing. It's also the day for the monthly networking with members of my writers group, Motown Writers Network. Since joining the group five years ago, I have always made a point to make it to the first meeting of year--didn't do so good with the rest of the year, but I always started out on the right track. This year, I wanted to do something different. Rather than spending three hours away from my kids sharing with others how I planned to accomplish my writing goals for the year--discussing writing goals is always the subject of the 1st meeting of the year--I decided it was more important to actually DO something in preparation of reaching my goals.

Therefore, on this 2nd Saturday of January, I found a quiet place away from the house, away from my wonderful children, away from general distractions, or so I thought. In hindsight, maybe the mall wasn't the perfect place because as soon as I got to the spot where I planned to writer, I came across a store closing sign outside of Waldenbooks. No brainer--I had to go in. But, long story short, I didn't do too much damage to my pockets--6 books for the price of 1. And two of those books were reference books and four were for my son. Not bad, right? Anyway, after that brief distraction, I did manage to get some writing done. I made a little bit of headway with a short story I started a few weeks ago.

I also had an opportunity to bounce a few ideas off of one of my writing buddies who, later, met me at my new writing place. Another positive outcome of my writing session was the opportunity to promote my book--Unfinshed Business--to a woman who just happened to be seated next to me. She saw my notebook and the books that I had just purchased sprawled across the table and inquired if I was a student. Somehow or another she mentioned that she loved to read so, OF COURSE, I jumped at the chance to tell her about my book. Although she didn't buy a copy, she did offer to tell a PR friend of hers about me so that they could possibly assist me with promotion! Sometimes you have to be in the right place at the right time.

Til Next time...L.A.

No comments: