Monday, August 23, 2010

Summer Update 2010

It's 2 o'clock in the morning and my sleep was rudely interrupted so I figured since I'm awake I'd post to my block since I haven't done so in about a month. If you read my previous post you know that I challenged myself to finish the first draft of my upcoming book, Reconciliation to Hell, by the end of the summer/beginning of school. Well, while I'm not even close to the end of the book I am, however, at the end of the first chapter. I know it's nothing to shout about but a girl's gotta celebrate the small milestones too, right? Since I'm in a celebratory mood, I might as well mention a couple of other milestones for a local self-published author pursuing literary stardom. After nearly 5 years of being a member of Motown Writers Network, a network of primarily metro-Detroit writers & authors, I finally attended the annual Literary Meet & Greet, an event providing local authors a forum to introduce themselves to the community of readers and writers. And get this...not only did I attend the event, I also had promotion material available! Believe me, that's a pretty big deal. As an author I'm an entreprenuer of myself, my product and I've got to treat it as such. I've got to advertise, advertise, advertise every opportunity I get...like at the African World Festival this weekend. I didn't pass out as many of my flyers as I should have but I did give a few out. Anyway, the Literary Meet & Greet proved beneficial for a number of reasons. For one, I had the opportunity to speak about myself and my book. For two, I met a book reviewer and an Internet radio host who has openings for guests. Lastly, I was inspired to keep perservearing to be my #1 promoter and keep at it. Practice makes perfect, right?

Now, before I get too sleepy I better pull out my document and see what progress I can make in the next hour that I plan to be awake

No comments: