Tuesday, November 30, 2010

NaNoWriMo--NOT EVEN CLOSE

"Embarrassing" is the first word that comes to mind when I think of my word count to-date on this last day of the National Novel Writing Month contest. I won't even bother trying to type the night away until the midnight deadline! It'll be a complete waste--well maybe not a complete waste. Afterall, some typing is better than no typing at all, right? Right! Considering that maybe I will write from the time I get home this evening until midnight...Do I have it in me? We'll see.

Rather than looking at myself as a complete failure for not reaching the 50,000 word count, I'll give myself a pat on the back for effort. As writers, especially writers holding down a day job to pay the bills and taking care of family (kids, spouse), it's important to acknowledge and celebrate even the small steps toward the ultimate goal. The truth of the matter is had I not participated in this contest I may not have even gotten as far as I did on this particular project--let's just say the ball is definitely rolling. Maybe next year for NaNoWriMo. Until then I'll be working on my goal of writing EVERYDAY!

L.A. Jefferson

No comments: