Monday, December 13, 2010

2010 Recap & 2011 Outlook

2010 has been the most exciting year for me as a new author. To just think there's so much that I didn't do but I'm still proud of what I did do. For starters, I dedicated significantly more time to my craft this year. I attended 2 major writer's events: Literary Meet & Greet and the Motown Poetry Jam & Literary Conference. Just recently I began setting aside time for writing AWAY from home. Having learned that under no circumstances am I going to get a lot accomplished at home because I'm surrounded by too many other obligations, I've concluded that I must get away. Borders Book Store has become my place of refuge. Being surrounded by what I love most--new books--I'm instantly inspired. And as long as I stay off the Internet everything I accomplish during those 90 minute to 2 hr sessions is significantly more than I would at home.

Although I wasn't successful, I set some pretty high goals for myself this year. One of them was entering the 30 day National Novel Writing Month contest where participants try to complete a 50,000 word novel in the month of November. As for my current writing project, the goal was to have the 1st draft completed by 12/31/2010. I haven't given up. There's still 2 1/2 wks left in the year and anythings possible, right? The ultimate goal is to be published by June 2011.

Since I've jumped into 2011, I might as well get into my 2011 outlook. Delegation, delegation, & delegation. Yep, I'm going to be delegating some of these self-publishing responsibilities beginning with my website. Admittedly, I like the layout & design of my website, but there's a lot more that I could do with the site IF I had the time to invest in it. My time needs to be spent writing & promoting my work!

As for writing goals for 2011, they are to publish my second novel, Reconciliation to Hell. Next, I plan to finish writing my first non-fiction book. Lastly, I plan to have my quarterly newlestter up & running--1st edition due 1/2011. Sounds like enough, right? And to think I didn't even mention the number of workshops, conferences, & writing classes I plan to participate in. Oh, and how could I forget book promotions!!!

I'm exhausted already! Wish me luck!

1 comment:

The Adventures of Princess Zaria said...

Good luck LA. I know if you put your mind and talents to something, you can do it. Sometimes it just takes baby steps to reach a goal. I'm so glad I had the pleasure of meeting you and thanks for the Christmas card. Happy Holidays and good luck in all your literary endeavors.